- In 1989, a small group of dedicated Speedway citizens had a dream of providing scholarships to graduating high school seniors living in Speedway, Indiana. They pooled their own funds to establish this scholarship organization and awarded one $500 scholarship that year.
- In 1990, with assistance from other community members, they awarded five $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors.Also that year, our Endowment Fund was established with help from the Speedway Parent-Teacher Association.
- In 1991, the first annual phone-a-thon raised enough funds to award sixteen $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors.
- In 1993 and 1994, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, along with numerous local businesses, joined us in our “Racing for Education” program to build up our Endowment Fund.This Endowment Fund is used to support the continuing education of Speedway college students working toward their first undergraduate degree.
- Scholarships are awarded annually to graduating seniors at the SHS Honor Night program.Scholarships are also awarded annually in July to college students who are residents of Speedway.
- In 2013, a re-organization of our group took place and we are now strictly a local organization continuing the same mission.
- As of August, 2017 -- 1149 scholarships totaling $1,046,200 have been awarded to Speedway students pursuing a post-secondary education.
Scholarships for Speedway, Inc. is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. We are classified as a public charity. Copies of our IRS Tax Determination Letter are available upon request. Organizational records are available upon request as required by law.
Scholarships for Speedway, Inc. accepts and receives memorial gifts to fund special scholarships. We also accept donations from Speedway High School Alumni classes to fund scholarships. Donations may be made any time throughout the year to a specific scholarship or to our General Scholarship Fund.
To make a donation or to establish a scholarship, contact: